ROLAND VS-890 TURBO FACTS
The Roland VS-890 Digital Studio Workstation is the latest addition to the
popular lineup of VS-Series Workstations. It combines digital recording and
mixing, editing, effects processing, and CD-burning capability in a single
- 260 patches (160 preset + 100 user)
- 8 tracks / 128 V-Tracks per song
- New 24-bit A/D and D/A converters and 24-bit recording mode.
- 16 channels of automated digital mixing
- 2 built-in stereo multi-effects processors
- 6 analog and 2 digital (S/P DIF and Optical) inputs, and 4 analog
and 2 digital (S/P DIF and Optical) outputs
VS-890 ships with several demo songs, including a self-running narrated
demo. Use the following procedure to select and play back a song:
Playing the Demo Songs
Use the following
procedure to apply an effect to Track 5 of the demo song "Fix":
- Press SONG until "Song Select?" is displayed and
then press YES.
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select the demo song called "Fix."
- Press YES twice.
- If "Store Current ?" is displayed, press NO. If
"Re-Load Current?" is displayed, press YES.
- Press SCENE so it's lit, and then press LOC 1 to load Scene
- Press PLAY to begin playback. Use the MASTER fader to control
the level of the song.
- Press STOP to halt playback, and then press ZERO to return
to the beginning of the song.
- Press LOC 2 to load Scene 2, and then press play to hear another
version of the song.
- Press the SELECT/CH EDIT button for
- Channel 5.
- Hold SHIFT and press Channel 2's SELECT/CH EDIT button to
display "V.Track =."
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select V.Track = A:2.
- Press PLAY to hear a different track
The VS-890 must be stopped when changing V-Tracks.
Use the following procedure to apply an effect to Track 5 of the
demo song "Fix":
The VS-890's speaker
modeling allows you to hear what your mix sounds like through a
variety of different speakers. The available speaker models range
from high-end professional monitors to small radios. Use the following
procedure to apply speaker modeling to your mix:
- Press Track 5's SELECT/CH EDIT button.
- Use the PARAMETER buttons to select FX1 Ins =. Turn the TIME/VALUE
dial to select Insert.
- Press EFFECT under EDIT CONDITION to display "EFFECT-1
PRM?," and then press YES.
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select A58=GA:JMP-STACK, and then
- Press PLAY to hear the effect.
- Hold down SHIFT and press the FADER/EDIT button.
- Press the PARAMETER button to display "MST FX1 Ins Sw
=." Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select On.
- Press EFFECT under EDIT CONDITION to display "FX? EFFECT-1
PRM ?" Press YES.
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select FX1 C 31 =SPM: P.E-Bs,
and then press YES. These speakers are powered monitors characterized
by a bright tone. Press the righthand PARAMETER button until
the screen displays "FX1 SPM:Modeling = On."
- Press PLAY to hear the speaker modeling.
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to turn the speaker modeling on and
off in order to compare your sound with and without the speaker
- To try another speaker model, press EFFECT to display "FX?
EFFECT-1 PRM?" and press YES.
- Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select FX1 C34 = SPM:WhiteCon and
press YES. These two-way speakers known for their white woofers
are widely used in recording studios.
- Press PLAY to hear the speaker modeling.
Note: Speaker modeling is optimized for use
with Roland DS-90A and DS-50A digital powered monitors.
Automix allows you to memorize
your mixer settings as they change during a song's playback.
|Using Automix (Snapshot/Realtime)
When playback is stopped, you can record your current settings
in Automix markers using snapshot automation.
Tip: When mixing, we recommend that you take
a snapshot at the top of each song so that you can easily return
to these original settings if you make changes to the mix as the
song plays back.
During playbacks, you can use realtime Automix to record channel
fader and MASTER fader movements as Automix markers.
Use this procedure to record a snapshot and realtime Automix
You can use
the Mastering Room to record your mix-with effects-to left and
right master tracks from which you can create an audio CD. Use
this procedure to record Tracks 1-6 to Master Tracks 7&8,
Virtual Track A:8:
- Press ZERO to rewind to the beginning of your song.
- Press AUTOMIX-its indicator lights.
- The 1-8 SELECT buttons and the EZ ROUTING button blink indicating
that the mixer settings will be recorded for that channel. If
you'd like to disable Automix on a particular channel, hold
down AUTOMIX and press the SELECT button for that channel until
it's no longer lit. No Automix data will be recorded for that
- Set your faders and other channel parameters -panning, EQ,
etc.-as desired, and then hold down AUTOMIX and press TAP. A
snapshot of the mixer is stored as an Automix marker. Whenever
you rewind to the beginning of your song, the mixer settings
automatically switch to those stored in the marker.
Now we'll record some realtime Automix data.
- Hold down AUTOMIX and press REC.
- Press PLAY and Automix realtime recording will begin.
- Operate the channel faders, master fader and pan knobs. Automix
data will be recorded for channels whose settings are changed.
- When the mix is finished, press STOP. Markers will be created
- Press the ZERO transport button to rewind to the beginning
of the song, and press PLAY to listen to your mix.
- Press the CD-RW/MASTERING button several times until the screen
displays "CDR Mastering Room?" and then press YES.
- The screen will display "CDR Mastering Sw =." Turn
the TIME/VALUE dial to select On.
- Press the PARAMETER right button once- "MasStatus ="
appears in the display. Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select Rec.
- Press the righthand PARAMETER button until the screen displays
"CDR RecMode =." Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select
- Hold SHIFT and press FADER/EDIT.
- Press the PARAMETER right button several times until the screen
displays "FX1 Ins Sw =." Turn the TIME/VALUE dial
to select On.
- Press EFFECT-under EDIT CONDITION-until the screen displays
"EFFECT-1 PRM?" and then press YES.
- Turn the TIME/VALUE dial to select C10 = MTK: Mixdown, and
then press YES.
- Press PLAY/DISPLAY.
- Press the 1-6 STATUS buttons until their indicators each light
green. Adjust the volume balance of each track and then the
overall volume of the song using the MASTER fader.
- Press REC, and then press PLAY. Recording will begin.
- When recording is finished, press STOP. Press STATUS buttons
7 and 8 until their indicators light green, and press PLAY to
listen to your just-recorded master tracks.
- To turn the master tracks off and return to normal playback,
press the CD-RW MASTERING button and turn the TIME/VALUE dial
to select CDR MasteringSw = Off.