Updating the VS-880 Operating System from Standard MIDI Files
Use the following procedure to update the VS-880 to the current operating system. The updated software is provided as eight Standard MIDI Files, on a DOS or Macintosh formatted disk.
The tools required are:
- MIDI sequencer (software or hardware) that can load DOS or Macintosh Standard MIDI Files
- MIDI cable
- VS-880 System Software update disk
NOTE: We have tested these files with the following MIDI sequencing programs; Vision (Opcode), Performer (MOTU), Cubase (Steinberg/Jones), and Logic (Emagic). We were successful in updating the VS-880. Some sequencers do not send system exclusive messages that are embedded in a Standard MIDI File properly. These programs will not work for updating the operating system of the VS-880. A demo version of Cubase is available on the Steinberg/Jones website (http://steinberg-na.com). The demo version will work for this application. If you continue to have problems with the update procedure check your MIDI/interface setup.
- Connect the MIDI OUT port of the sequencer to the MIDI IN port of the VS-880.
- Hold down CH EDIT button 7 and STATUS button 7 while powering on the VS-880. The message "System Update?" will be displayed.
- Press YES. The message "Waiting MIDI-EX" will be displayed.
- Load the Standard MIDI Files into your sequencer.
- Play all Standard MIDI Files: "VS-880-1.mid" through "VS-880-8.mid" in sequential order.
- After all SMF's have been played into the VS-880, the message "Update SysPRG?" will be displayed. Press YES.
- The message "Please Reboot OK" will be displayed. The system software of the VS-880 has now been updated.
- Restart the VS-880 (power off and then on again). The new system version will be displayed in the lower left corner of the display as the unit is booting up.
VS-880: New Features in System 1.081
System version 1.081 adds some new features to the VS-880. The following is a brief description of these features as well as the procedures for using them.
In addition to features added in previous versions, operating system version 1.081 adds a 'Surface Scan' function to the VS-880. This is a drive related function that checks a drive, during the initialization procedure, to determine if any portion of that drive is unusable. If such locations are found, the VS-880 will bypass them during recording and/or playback.
NOTE: The 'Surface Scan' function will take much more time than the standard drive initialize procedure. For example, to initialize a 540Mbyte drive with 'Surface Scan' enabled will take approximately a 1/2 hour.
- Press SYSTEM until "Drive Initialize?" is displayed. Press YES/ENTER.
- Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select the drive you wish to initialize. WARNING: This procedure will erase all information on that drive.
- Press PARAMETER>> until "Surface Scan" is displayed. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select "ON."
- Press YES/ENTER four times.
The procedure for protecting or unprotecting a song has changed in OS version 1.081. The new procedure should help prevent accidental changes of a song's protect status.
VS-880: New Features in System 1.073
- Press SONG until "Song Name/Prtct?" is displayed. Press YES/ENTER.
- Press PARAMETER>>. If your song is currently protected, "ChangePrtct > Off?" will be displayed. If your song is not protected, "ChangePrtct > On?" will be displayed.
- Press YES/ENTER twice to change the protect status of your song (press NO to leave the protect status as it is).
System version 1.073 adds some new features to the VS-880. The following is a brief description of these features as well as the procedures for using them.
System 1.073 increases the total number of Locate points from 8 to 32 by adding 4 Locate Banks. Each bank consists of 8 Locate points. Use the following procedure to access the Locate Banks:
- Hold LOCATOR (under EDIT CONDITION) and press the desired LOC button (1-4) to select a Locate Bank (1-4).
- Press DISPLAY to return to Play mode. You can set and clear the 8 Locate points within that bank with the same procedure you used in earlier versions.
In addition to Preview To and From, System 1.073 adds a Preview Thru command. Preview Thru plays 1/2 of the Preview Length (set in the System parameters) from before the Now line (the current position of the song) and 1/2 of the Preview Length after the Now line. This allows you to hear any edits in context with the audio on both sides of the edit point. Use the following procedure to use the Preview Thru command:
- Set the desired Preview Length as in previous versions.
- Press PREVIEW TO and PREVIEW FROM simultaneously.
System 1.073 adds a Song Information screen which displays the Song Name, Song Number, Sample Rate, Recording Mode, and Song Capacity (in megabytes) for the current song. Use the following procedure to access the Song Information screen:
Generating MIDI Clock while in External Sync
- From Play mode, hold SHIFT and press SONG (under EDIT CONDITION). The Song Information screen will be displayed briefly before returning to the previous screen.
System 1.073 adds the ability to transmit MIDI Clock messages while in external sync. This is important for many people that combine SMPTE/MTC compatible devices with other devices that sync only to MIDI Clock messages, such as drum machines and keyboard workstations. Use the following procedure to set the VS-880 to transmit MIDI Clock while in external sync:
NOTE: System version 1.073 will also disable the Bars/Beats display unless a tempo is referenced. To view the Bars/Beats display, set the metronome to 'INT' or 'MIDI' (in the System Parameters menu) and select the desired tempo (in the Sync/Tempo menu).
- Connect the MIDI OUT port of your MTC master (sequencer, converter box, MIDI interface, etc.) to the MIDI IN port of the VS-880.
- Connect the MIDI OUT port of the VS-880 to the MIDI IN port of the device you wish to send MIDI Clock messages to and set that device to external sync mode.
- Press SYSTEM (under EDIT CONDITION) until "Sync/Tempo?" is displayed. Press YES/ENTER.
- Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select "Syn:Source = EXT."
- Press PARAMETER>> until "Syn:Gen.=" is displayed. Use the TIME/VALUE dial to select MIDIclk.
- Press PLAY on the MIDI Clock dependent device and on the VS-880. Start playback on your MTC master device and all units will playback in sync.