KURZWEIL K2500R SYNTH MODULE
Kurzweil introduces a new generation of professional instruments utilizing their acclaimed V.A.S.T. technology - the K2500R Production Station. Building on the features that have made the award-winning K2000 Series the professionals' choice worldwide, the new K2500R goes several steps further.
The K2500R is more than a "workstation": it's a "Production Station". It enables you to complete a project - from conception to final master - without leaving the K2500R environment. The K2500R has the power and connectivity you need for the most challenging projects: true 48-note polyphony; easy upgradability; 60 internal digital sound processing functions; up to 28 MB of internal ROM sounds; sample RAM expansion to 128 MB; dual SCSI ports; a myriad of interfacing options; and economical program memory expansion to 1.256 MB.
Today, more than ever, your instrument needs access to modern mass-storage devices - and the K2500R delivers. Dual SCSI ports provide lightning-fast transfer of information via hard disks, CD-ROMs, removable cartridge drives, magneto-opticals and other mass-storage devices. The K2500R also supports rapid transfer of samples between computer and sampler via the SMDI protocol.
The K2500R also has eight analog outputs (which double as insert points) plus Stereo Mix Out. The sampling option provides digital I/O's, including AES/EBU/SPDIF, for the highest quality sampling and mastering. The DMTi Option provides a proprietary digital interface with the popular ADAT and DA-88 digital multitrack recorders.
The K2500R's "Variable Architecture Synthesis Technology" (V.A.S.T.®) offers 60 DSP functions arranged in 31 algorithms, allowing you to process up to 48 voices separately. Add powerful expression to acoustic instruments by adding wave-shaper parameters; add distortion and resonant filters to create the ultimate tine piano. With 128 MB of RAM, you can sample an entire section of a recording project, then process and mix it through the K2500R's extensive DSP architecture. The possibilities are V.A.S.T.
Until now, upgrading your operating system meant taking your instrument to a dealer or service center and having chips installed. The K2500R's Flash ROM saves you that time and expense. Now you can upgrade from floppy disk - just download the latest system software from our web site. Flash ROM also enables you to write your own setups and programs to ROM.
You can also upgrade the K2500R's program and sample memories. Battery-backed program RAM can be expanded from 256K to 1,280K via standard low-cost SIPP memory. Sample memory expands to a powerful 128 MB for storing over 24 minutes of CD-quality sampled sound.
A full-function 32-Track Sequencer is built into the K2500R. Modeled after the finest software sequencers, it's equipped with 16 song tracks, 16 arrangement tracks, Automated Mixdown and Multi-MIDI Channel record.
With a maximum internal resolution of 768 ppqn, sequencer functions include: Linear, Pattern and Step Drum Machine Record Modes, Reference Quantize, Nondestructive Track Editing, Cut, Copy, Paste facilities, Advanced Auto Arranger functions (allows sequences to be triggered from keys with velocity sensitivity) - and more.
Reference Quantize allows you to quantize to a "groove", even if the track was recorded without a click. The Event Edit List, with view filters and audible scroll, enables precise, computer-style editing. And if you've already worked with a computer sequencer, the K2500R imports and exports .MID files on DOS-formatted media.
- 76 note semi-weighted or 88 note weighted action keyboard
- V.A.S.T. variable architecture synthesis with 60 DSP functions
- Highly readable 60 x 240 backlit LCD display
- Up to 128 MB of Sample RAM
- Dual SCSI Ports
- 32-track Sequencer
- Flash ROM (for software updates via floppy disk and SCSI). The current version for a unit without the KDFX option is 2.96. The current version for a unit with the KDFX option is 4.32. The operating system in your unit is displayed on power up. Click here to download version 2.96 or 4.32 from Kurzweil's FTP site.
- Live Mode allows real time V.A.S.T. and KDFX processing of an external signal (requires sampling option)
- Sampling Option with analog and digital I/O and sample-while-play
- Extensive Sample Processing
- KB3 Mode adds an incredible tone wheel organ emulation
- Full MIDI controller capabilities: Includes 8 sliders, 2 ribbon controllers, 2 button switches, 4 switch pedal jacks, 2 continuous controller jacks, breath controller jack, mod wheel (without spring), pitch bend wheel (with spring), and aftertouch - all assignable to any MIDI controller number.
- Advanced File Management System
- Powerful KDFX digital reverb and effects option with digital I/O
- Up to 28 MB of Internal ROM Sounds
- DMTi Digital MultiTrack interface option for data format and sample rate conversion (interfaces with Alesis ADAT and Tascam DA-88)
- K2500 - 76-note semi-weighted piano-style keyboard
- K2500X - 88-note fully-weighted piano-style keyboard.
- Power Supply: User switchable international power supply
- Architecture: Proprietary V.A.S.T. system
- Polyphony: 48 voices (or 24 stereo)
- Display: 64 x 240 fluorescent backlit display
- Outputs: 8 audio outs (double as inserts) plus mix master pair. 600 ohm stereo headphone out
- With SMPK-2 Sample Option: Stereo 1/4" unbalanced analog hi-Z input (tip/ring/sleeve); two balanced (Lo-Z) XLR inputs.
- Digital I/O: AES-EBU, optional S/PDIF (via Optical and RCA) inputs and outputs.
- KDS (Kurzweil Digital Stream) out provides digital out for interfacing with other options.
- Sample RAM: up to 128 MB via standard 30 or 72 (depending on date of manufacture) pin SIMMs
- Sound ROM: up to 28 MB; 8MB base ROM with full K2000 file compatibility.
- Optional 8 MB Orchestral ROM Sound Block and 8 MB Contemporary ROM Sound Block; 4 MB Stereo Grand Piano Sound Block
- Sequence/Program RAM: 256KB user-programmable battery-backed RAM, expandable to 1.25MB via standard SIPP memory.
- SCSI support: Two SCSI-1 25-pin D connectors (to Apple specifications and pinout)
- OS Upgrades: User-installed upgrades supplied on 3.5in DOS compatible floppy disks or via download from Kurzweil's web site, saved to 3.5in FD or transfer via SCSI to K2500R battery backed "Flash" EPROM. PC DOS compatibility required.
- Advanced File Management System: DOS based, compatible disk format allows for friendly cataloging and retrieving of sounds/files, and powerful utilities include: file search, provide info about media/available space/used space etc., disk MACRO, and Startup file applications allow easy custom configuration.
- Sequencer: Full-function sequencer with 16 song and 16 arrangement tracks. Offers pattern, linear, and step recording, Cut, Copy, Paste, advanced 'groove' quantizing, event list editing and other powerful editing tools. Sequences can be triggered in real time from the keyboard.
- Compatibility: Reads/writes Standard MIDI Files, AIFF, and .WAVE files. Reads libraries via SCSI in Roland 700 series, Akai S900, S950, S1000, S1100, and S3000, and Ensoniq EPS, and ASR file formats. Reads FDs in Ensoniq and Akai formats. Dimensions:K2500 47.8" x 17.8" x 4.8" (121.4 cm x 45.1 cm x 12.2 cm), K2500X 54.3" x 17.8" x 4.8" (137.9 cm x 45.1 cm x 12.2 cm) Weight:K2500 55.5 lb. (25.2 kg), K2500X 72 lb. (32.7 kg) Suggested List Price: K2500 $5,556.00, K2500S $6,440.00 (includes sampling option), K2500X $6,120.00, K2500XS $7,000.00 (includes sampling option),
- SMP-2X Advanced Sampling Option with Digital I/O, Optical I/O, and Sample-while-play. DSP functions include time compression/expansion, pitch shifting, re-sampling, pasting samples on a beats per minute time line (Mix Beat), volume ramps, mix sample and many other functions.
- KDFX Digital Effects Option utilizes Kurzweil's newest VLSI DSP chip.
- Versatile 4-stereo-bus design, full bandwidth, cutting edge DSP functionality, digital I/O and flexible routing scheme.
- DMTi Digital MultiTrack interface performs real-time digital data format conversion between K2500, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, ADAT and DA-88. It simultaneously performs real-time sample-rate conversion to 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz or a variety of external clock rates.
- Contemporary ROM, Orchestral ROM, Stereo Grand Piano ROM
- Soundblocks add additional ROM samples, along with new preset programs and setups
- PRAM/2 Program RAM Memory Expansion increases the amount of battery backed RAM from 256k to 1280k.